Monday, January 10, 2005

The Great Serpent Mound of Ohio is Ursa Major - LexiLine Journal 320

I just had a couple questions sent to me by a reader. Here are my answers to those two questions.

1. I think that the Great Serpent Mound of Ohio represents the stars of Ursa Major. This is part of an ancient survey of the Americas by astronomy, as I describe in my book Stars Stones and Scholars – where I have the Great Serpent Mound designated as Chilicotte, Ohio. The serpent is thus wrapped around and below the North Pole ca. 3117 BC. This is to be distinguished from Draco, which is wrapped around the North Ecliptic Pole, which is not the Pole Star, but rather the center around which the circle of precession – as represented by the Pole Star on that circle of precession – winds on its path of ca. 26,000 years.

2. The ancients were able to determine – as we do – that precession accounts for a shift of equinoxes and solstices and pole star by one degree in the stars every 72 years, so that a "fullcircle" is made in about 26,000 years, i.e. 72 x 360 degrees = 25920 years. This knowledge could have been obtained by the ancients within a few hundred years of observing the stars, but may have been the product of millennia of observing the stars prior to 3000 BC.

No comments:

Most Popular Posts of All Time

LexiLine Journal Archive